Hello 5th Grade Families,
Welcome to Quarter 2! Quarter 1 flew by- it was filled with community building, deep learning of the Renaissance, and of course lots of fun! Thanks for a great quarter. I am confident as we move forward to Quarter 2, it will only get better. We will continue to work hard, work collaboratively, and create a learning environment that promotes individuality and critical thinking. Let’s go 5th grade!
I love the beginning of a new quarter. I like to reflect on the last quarter and see ways that we can improve in the upcoming 9 weeks. It is refreshing! It’s SUPER important to not get behind early on in the quarter. Students should start strong!!
November is a very busy time, please see the important dates below.
- This Wednesday- Friday (11/7-11/9) are parent conferences! Students are dismissed at 12pm all 3 days. Please pick your child up on time. All conferences will start promptly at your assigned time. I will do my best to stay on schedule, so please be on time! Make sure you have signed up for a conference by TOMORROW (Tuesday). CLICK HERE for the sign up.
- Monday, November 12th – Veteran’s Day – No school!
- Tuesday, November 13th– K-5th Grade has been invited to see Alice in Wonderland. This performance includes a group of students, who are in the after school theatre program. The performance begins at 1:00pm. I need parent drivers to drive us 1.3 miles down the street to Mission Hills United Church of Christ. The performance is about 1 hour long and we will return to OTA at about 2pm. If you are available to drive us, please email me and let me know how many students you can hold in your car! THANK YOU!
- Thursday, November 15th- CPR Awareness Day!– This day will be very similar to years past. Students will learn CPR, AED procedure, and water safety.
- Monday, November 19th- Friday, November 23rd = NO SCHOOL! Thanksgiving Holiday.
Students will receive their log in information for the grade book so that they can log in at home and at school. Parents, please get in the habit of checking the grade book regularly so that you and your child stay up to date with their grades, turning in work, and how they are doing. The grade book is updated weekly.
Quarter 2 Snapshot
We have PE this quarter on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday! Students must wear their PE uniforms on PE days.
NO EXTENDED LEARNING for Q2. OTA has put a school wide hold on extended learning as we evaluate it. Our teachers will be discussing extended learning and updating it for future quarters. For this quarter, students must work hard on all in class assignments in order to get an A! Don’t worry, extended learning will be back.
Language Arts– We have started the novel, Don Quixote! We will do all reading of the book in class. Students will be completing many activities along the way, focusing on many different standards connected to reading literature. While reading the novel, we will be writing our first essay!
Math– This quarter we will be focusing on- multiplying decimals, dividing whole numbers and decimal numbers, and adding.subtracting fractions! IXL will be due every few weeks but this is something students should be working on weekly.
History– Our focus this quarter is on European Exploration! We will study and learn about how, where, and why different European countries explored during the Age of Exploration.
Geography– State Expert Report #2 on a Midwest state! Students will work on this in class and will research their state individually.
Book Talks- Students will be presenting a “Book Talk” on a book they are currently reading (or read last quarter). More information to come soon. But it is SUPER important, students are reading a novel each night!
This Week in 5th Grade:
- Topic 4 Reteach
- Topic 4 Online Review
- Topic 4 Test on FRIDAY (students should be studying all week at home!)
- IXL I Skills due Friday (these were really due last week, but I am letting students submit these skills by this Friday for partial credit)
- Don Quixote Reading- We will be reading the first couple chapters in class together
- Character Chart on DQ and Sancho
- Don Quixote Writing Response
- Grammar Focus: Independent & dependent clauses
- Vocabulary Week 1/2 due next week
- Nonfiction Week 1/2 due next week
- Reasons for Exploring Notes
- Reason for Exploring Ship project