Next week, your first grader will complete the Winter Session Math MAPs Test. The following week, he or she will complete the Winter Session Reading MAPs Test. Please alert us of any upcoming absences.
You may review the NWEA report at the end of the 2nd Quarter. I will send MAPs reports home in your child’s folder. I am available to answer any questions or concerns about your child’s progress. Thank you for your continuous support from home!
* Each Quarter, we will complete a Project Based Learning Activity. For the next two weeks, your First Grader will design and construct an Ancient Egypt Amusement Park Model! We will present our final project on January 18th from 2:00-2:30 in our classroom. You are invited to view our final presentation! (If you would like, you may take your child home at the conclusion of the presentation.)
* Scholastic Book Orders earn bonus points for our class! I will use bonus points to order additional books for our classroom library. You may order books online: https://clubs2.scholastic.com/ Our class code: PD8DX.
Upcoming Save the Dates
* JAN. 15th: NO SCHOOL (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
* JAN. 18th: Project Based Learning Presentation 2:00-2:30
* JAN.22nd -26th The Great Kindness Challenge! (more details to come…)
* JAN. 26th: End of Quarter 2! (HALF DAY)
* JAN. 30th: Happy Birthday Ava!
Curriculum Conversation Starters
(Ask your child the following questions about what we have learned this week! This is optional!)
1. Would you like to be an archaeologist when you grow up? Why or why not?
2. How did Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. show courage?
3. Solve the addition equation: 5 + 3 + 3 = Can you think of a different way to solve the equation?
4. Are you looking forward to the MAPs Math Test?! Why or why not? …If you are not looking forward to the test, please talk to Mrs. Blackwood on Tuesday morning, she will calm your nerves! 🙂
5. Who are your PBL group members? What is the name of your amusement park?
6. What is a blueprint?
7. Who was the 15th President of the United States? (James Buchanan) Was he married? (No, he was the only bachelor President!)
8. Where did the Grand High Witch hide the Delayed Action Mouse Maker Formula 86?!
I hope you have an enjoyable Three Day Weekend!
– Mrs. Blackwood