Math: We began taking the math portion of the MAPS test. If your child did not finish this week, they will finish next week. We also took our Topic 7 exam on word problems. We are moving onto Topic 8, time and money, next week. We will be working in our math groups to complete various hands on projects during this topic. Please email me if you would like extra word problem resources, as this topic was somewhat challenging.
Reading/ Language Arts: We began taking the reading portion of the MAPS test. We will finish next week. We learned all about irregular plural nouns and wrote creative sentences on our whiteboards using these nouns and adding adjectives. We also continued to read articles and library books on our type of severe weather. We completed journal activities for our read alouds in our reading response notebook.
Next week we will be doing reading activities based off the book Thundercake by Patricia Palacco. We will eventually be baking a “thundercake” in the class on Thursday morning, January 31st. I need a few helpers in the morning, right after drop off, to assist with baking the cake with the kids. We will eat it in the afternoon! Also, if anyone would like to help me gather ingredients for the cake that would be greatly appreciated! Please email me if you are able to help out. Thank you 🙂
Vocabulary words are the same as last week! Due to the MAPS testing, we did not have enough time to complete all of our vocabulary activities for this week’s words.
Writing: We are all almost finished with our informational piece of writing from writers workshop. Everyone chose a nonfiction topic to write about and we have been working hard organizing our facts and writing a strong introduction and conclusion to our story. We are working hard on editing our writing to look for errors in punctuation and capitalization. We also started our severe weather informational paragraphs. We filled out a graphic organizer on our topic and added lots of transition words and adjectives to make our sentences more detailed. Almost everyone is starting the final draft. You will be able to read your child’s writing at their science station during the presentations. I am extremely proud of all the growth that I have seen in everyone’s writing so far! 2nd grade has been working very hard!!
Science: Each group completed a different STEM challenge based on their type of severe weather. Ask your child about their specific STEM challenge! We finished our weather scripts and have been practicing in our groups. Each group also put together their poster for their presentations. Next week, we will work on making safety brochures for our weather.
PBL presentation will be at 10:45 on Friday, February 1st. It is a minimum day, so you may take your child home after the presentation. If you will not be attending, pickup is at 12:00. For the presentation, you will be watching the weather scripts that we filmed and then you are able to walk around the classroom and visit the different science stations on each type of severe weather. Initially, I was going to have the class come in their presentation clothes. However, it is spirit day and pajama day, so I do not want the class to miss out on it. They may wear their pajamas for spirit day for the presentations.
We are filming our weather scripts on Monday. I typed up each group’s weather script and I am sending a copy of it home if your child would like to practice this weekend. Please bring the paper back on Monday so we can practice again before filming. We are working hard on reading our part fluently and with lots of expression.
Art: We completed an art project based on one of my favorite books, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs!
- Field trip money and permission slip- due Friday, February 1st. If you are chaperoning you must bring in $5! Thank you! If you are a chaperone please check your email with important information regarding items due to the office to be able to chaperone.
- Field trip- Tuesday, February 5th. Please drop off your child at school by 7:30 the latest! Chaperones will be leaving at 7:40. We will return to OTA at 11:30 for a regular day.
- January reading response questions- due January 31st.
- Scholastic book orders- due January 31st.
- Minimum day and spirit day (pajamas)- February 1st. End of Q2!!
- OTA Family Dance- February 9th.
- Valentines Day party- Thursday, February 14th. We will be having a party in our classroom in the afternoon on Valentines Day. We will be rotating around the room and playing different “minute to win it”. Please let me know if you are able to help out. I would like to have one or two volunteers at each game station. I will put up a sign up genius for food for the party next week.
- Parent Helpers Needed! I am looking for parent help on Thursdays to help with making copies, laminating, cutting, etc. I will have a tub of items with directions in my room. You may grab the tub and use the teacher’s lounge to copy, cut, etc. You can do this at any time of the day, except for lunch time, so the teachers can have the lounge for lunch. If you are interested in being a teacher’s assistant, please let me know!