Wow! 3rd grade had an awesome and busy week! We had our poetry contest (CONGRATULATIONS Brook, Quincy, and Tesla), we dived deeper into our Age of Exploration Unit, finished up Topic 11 in Math, and Grandparent’s Day was a huge success! Thank you to everyone for coming to visit our classroom. It was so nice to meet everyone. Also, a huge thanks to all of the parents that helped to set up the refreshments for our visitors.
We have been getting more comfortable with the “testing language” by doing Math and Language Test Prep activities in the classroom. If you have not already done so, please check out the CAASPP Practice Training Tests with your child.
The 3rd graders really enjoyed our Age of Exploration centers this week. We were able to take a voyage on a ship to the New World and either apply to navigation school or apply for a royal sponsorship for our voyages. We also began writing our persuasive letters to the King and Queen to sponsor our voyages. We investigated in these centers to answer the following questions:
What was the journey to the New World like?
How did explorers get royal sponsorships?
What challenges did explorers face?
What did explorers need to know before going on an expedition?
Please ask your child about what we learned this week!
- Field Trip to the History Center in Balboa Park is on Friday, June 1st at 9:30 am. Please e-mail me if you are able to chaperone and drive, along with how many students you can take, so I can get a list going. If you are chaperoning and driving, then you must get a packet from the office to fill out.
- CAASPP Testing Week will begin on May 21st and will last all week. Please e-mail me if you will NOT be here this week. Monday and Tuesday will be the ELA assessments, and Wednesday and Thursday will be the Math assessments. Friday is reserved as a make-up day.
- Talent Show Try-Outs are on April 25th and April 26th at 3:15. Please e-mail Ms. King with any talent show questions.
- Explorer passage packet due: Monday, April 23rd
- Topic 11 Math Exam will be: Tuesday April 24th. I will send home a review sheet on Monday. Please look over this with your child.
- Spelling/Vocab and Multiplication Quiz this Friday.
- I went over the Q4 Extended Learning projects with the class. These will be due on Tuesday, June 5th. Please check the Extended Learning Page for more information. Your child will come home with detailed directions on Monday.
For the spelling list this week, your child will have to write the contraction and then write the two words it stands for.
- don’t – do not
- won’t – will not
- haven’t – have not
- isn’t – is not
- I’m – I am
- I’d – I would
- can’t – can not
- they’d – they would
- weren’t – were not
- hadn’t – had not
Vocabulary Words: (Navigational Tools used during The Age of Exploration)
- Compass- used to determine the direction in which ships were traveling.
- Astrolabe- used to determine latitude by measuring the sun.
- Caravel- replaced larger slower ships; was able to maneuver quickly through water.
- Chip Log- used to measure speed, which was multiplied by time in order to calculate distance traveled.
- Hourglass- a tool used for measuring time.
Have a great weekend!